About Me

I have 5 girls, and one day the youngest says to me "you should create your own cook book", I haven't a clue as to how to even begin doing that, so we put our heads together and decided to create a blog instead. Cooking is one thing that I understand and love to do. Welcome, I hope you like what you see.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Focaccia Bread

Okay, so for years (like over 30) I've made bread and tried different types such as honey oatmeal bread, or honey whole wheat, or just plain white bread....all of which are just wonderful, especially when it's fresh out of the oven with butter just melted all over it. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

It was just recently that I started thinking about focaccia bread, I've never had it before and I was curious but slightly hesitant to make some because I'm not one for dry breads and I've noticed that a lot of times when looking through the baked goods at the grocery store that the breads just look dry. But then I took the plunge and made this and let's just say.....Holy Cow!!!! This bread is just so yummy and wonderful to work with. The entire family fell in love too, so now it's a frequent request around here.

I started by proofing my yeast and then mixed up the spices and olive oil and then I kneaded it and placed it in the bowl with just a bit of olive oil to keep it from drying out. And here it is just sitting there letting those flavors and the yeast do their jobs.





Then I punched the dough down and put it on a baking sheet, I just worked the dough so that it spread out and then comes lots of mozzorella and parmesan cheese (those two were just made for one another). Then I baked this tasty treat for about 15 minutes. Doesn't that look cheesy and tasty? We never have any leftovers on this.



I must say, it just melts in your mouth!



Foccacia Bread
Ingredients:
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 dash ground black pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese (shredded

Directions:
Let bread rise with 1 Tbsp olive oil, punch down and then place on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until browned on top. Serve warm or cold, warm tastes even better, but this is awesome either way.

No comments: