About Me

I have 5 girls, and one day the youngest says to me "you should create your own cook book", I haven't a clue as to how to even begin doing that, so we put our heads together and decided to create a blog instead. Cooking is one thing that I understand and love to do. Welcome, I hope you like what you see.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mom's Beef Enchiladas

This is my Mom's recipe that she came up with years ago, I've made a couple of minor changes to it, but ultimately this is still her yummy recipe. My husband really loves beef enchiladas and he requests them quite often, it doesn't seem to matter what time of year it is either, this is one of his favorites.

I started with some ground beef, about a pound and browned it along with some onion and my spices.


Now, I put some oil in a pan and let it get good and hot then I softened my tortilla shells in that and placed the cooked tortilla shells on a paper towl to drain. A jalapeno pepper could be finely chopped and added to this as well, I just didn't have any on hand at the time.



Then I took and put kidney beans and chili powder in the food processor, give it a good mixing and let it get creamy. This is going to be used for spreading on the tortilla shell.


Then comes the meat and the cheese......Yum!!!!


Time to put the tomatoe sauce and the enchilada sauce on, don't forget the cheese on top!


And here it is......just can't wait to dig into this one.





Mom's Beef Enchiladas


Ingredients:
1 15 oz can kidney beans (drained with only a tiny bit of juice)
4 1/2 tsp. chili powder (divided)
1 lb ground beef
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 small onion chopped
8 yellow corn tortillas
1/3 C cooking oil
14 oz can Old El Paso enchilada sauce
8 oz can tomato sauce
3 - 4 C medium cheddar cheese


Directions:
Drain kidney beans, leaving a tiny bit of juice place in food processor with 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder and process until fairly creamy, set aside.
Brown the ground beef, remaining chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and onion until meat is done. Heat cooking oil in a small frying pan and slightly cook each tortilla shell only for about 30 seconds in the oil. Using a spatula gently lift the tortilla shells out of the pan and let them drip. Lay each tortilla shell out on a paper towel while you cook the rest (this is to soften the shells, making them easier to roll).
Assemble the enchiladas by spreading about a tablespoon of the bean mixture on a tortilla shell, then place about 1/4 cup of the browned meat and about 1/4 cup of cheese, roll the tortilla up and finish the rest. Once all of the enchiladas are rolled up, combine the tomato sauce and 8 oz of the enchilada sauce together in a bowl (I use glass measuring cup with a pour spout) pour over the top of the enchiladas, top with remaining cheese and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes, until bubbling on the sides.
Garnish with shredded lettuce, and sour cream.

No comments: