About Me

I have 5 girls, and one day the youngest says to me "you should create your own cook book", I haven't a clue as to how to even begin doing that, so we put our heads together and decided to create a blog instead. Cooking is one thing that I understand and love to do. Welcome, I hope you like what you see.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Favorite Fried Squash

We love friend squash at our house, especially when the squash comes fresh out of the garden, it just tastes so fresh and almost like a summer time comfort food. Even the little kids like this stuff, it's just wonderful!




Our favorite type of squash is the yellow squash, otherwise known as summer squash or crookneck - any way you cut it, this stuff is just plain awesome! So I sliced the squash and made an egg bath, then I put my flour in a separate bowl and got my oil nice ready in the pan. Taking each piece of sliced squash, I coated it first in the egg bath, then dredged it in the flour and placed it in the pan to cook. Once I have a full pan of squash, I sprinkle some salt and pepper to taste and wait for the coating to turn golden and then turn each piece over and cook on the other side.




Doesn't that just look so nice and yummy?




The finished product - I could honestly make a meal out of this alone. Happy eating!!!!


Fried Squash


Egg Bath:
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 C milk


1 C flour
2 yellow squash sliced
1/2 C cooking oil (I like light olive oil)


Directions:
Rinse and slice squash and set aside for just a minute. For the egg bath, combine the milk and eggs by lightly beating them together with a fork. Place the flour in a separate bowl. Heat oil, then dip each slice of squash first in the egg bath then in the flour. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry until golden brown, then turn each piece over and cook until golden brown on that side. This is incredible served with elk steak and fresh cucumbers (but that's a blog for another day). Happy eating!

No comments: