About Me

I have 5 girls, and one day the youngest says to me "you should create your own cook book", I haven't a clue as to how to even begin doing that, so we put our heads together and decided to create a blog instead. Cooking is one thing that I understand and love to do. Welcome, I hope you like what you see.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Shephard's Pie

For dinner tonight I was really wanting something kind of savory and satisfying, but not loaded with tons of calories, afterall I needed to save up some calories for the Mango Nut Bread that I planned to make afterwards. One of the first things that came to mind was Shephard's Pie which is something that we all really like. The potatoes on top just finish this dish.


I browned some ground turkey first



Then I added some Italian Style Diced Tomatoes and mashed them up a little in the pan, then an 8 oz. can of tomatoe sauce. Once that was bubbling, I added frozen mixed veggies and just let it simmer there on the stove for a couple of minutes.



I have never in my life purchased ready made mashed potatoes, but for this recipe I can do that. I look for brands that have sour cream and chives in the potatoes and I add shredded cheddar cheese and drop by spoonfuls over the top of the meat mixture.


Shephard's Pie

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1-15 oz can Italian Style Diced Tomatoes
1 - 8 oz can tomatoe sauce
1 1/2 C mixed frozen vegetables
1 container premade mashed potatoes with sour cream and chives
1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Directions: Brown ground turkey until no longer pink, add diced tomatoes and mash in the pan then add tomatoe sauce and frozen vegetables, turn stove down low and allow to simmer. Meanwhile place potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap and 2 minutes. Add cheese and microwave for one more minute and make sure cheese in incorporated through. Drop by spoonfuls on top of meat mixture and broil for 5 minutes or until potatoes start to turn golden brown. Serve warm.






No comments: