About Me

I have 5 girls, and one day the youngest says to me "you should create your own cook book", I haven't a clue as to how to even begin doing that, so we put our heads together and decided to create a blog instead. Cooking is one thing that I understand and love to do. Welcome, I hope you like what you see.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Swiss Cheese Fondue

A couple of years ago, I had a chance to enter in a contest for fondue for Taste of Home, I really enjoy their recipes and to be quite honest, my family does too! I have too many magazines and hard bound cook books from Taste of Home to count. Anyway, I submitted my recipe for Swiss Cheese Fondue and it ended up with high ratings and a spot in the magazine and I received the issue of Cooking for Two where it appeared for free. I do submit from time to time and who knows, maybe another will be chosen some day.


When I was growing up, there were those occasions that I would spend the night at a friend's house and her mom made this recipe for us a few times, it's just one of those recipes that you just go back to from time to time and fall in love all over again. This is great served warm at parties, showers, or just for the heck of it. I would most certainly double or even tripe this one if serving more than a couple of people.
Swiss Cheese Fondue Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground mustard
  • Dash ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/4 cup beer or nonalcoholic beer
  • 4 slices French bread (1 inch thick), cut into 1-inch cubes

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine the cheese, flour, mustard and nutmeg. In a small saucepan, heat cream and beer over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of saucepan. Stir in cheese mixture. Bring just to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until combined and smooth.
  • Transfer to a small fondue pot and keep warm. Serve with bread cubes. Yield: 2/3 cup.

No comments: